Wednesday 9 November 2011

hel syniadau.

During the summer i began to gather thought on ideas for my final year project. I produced allot of work combining photographs, sheep wool and stitch. Carrying on with similar work that i began to produce for my exhibition at the end of last year. I came across allot of interesting work and exhibitions in wales as well as on my travels to different countries.
I wanted to work with an object, so i started looking at shoes, and the bottom of shoes and insoles. I began to think how a shoe could tell so much- a story of where it had been, what it had seen and so on. I did some research into charities who collect shoes, shoe designers and historical shoe history. I also thought back to a piece of work i saw in the Eisteddfod in Wrexham over the summer, a piece by Bedwyr Williams. Carved wellingtons, alongside photographs and sculptures.
His carved wellingtons,stuffed with straw had little images all over them. I liked the idea of them telling a story or showing what they had been up-to/used for, and along side the photograph of the Hill farmer witch indicated the theme, the combination for all the pieces worked well and there was a strong welsh vibe achieved with simple pieces.
I wanted to achieve something similar with my project, a simple idea nut with strong impact.I started thinking about creating some sort of website where people could maybe post stories alongside pictures of the bottom of their shoes, or even donate me their insoles so i could produce work using them. Pretty quickly i realized how difficult making a website was, and started thinking of other ways of getting my hands on what i needed.As well as starting to think of a name for my project that didn't already exist.......!

No comments:

Post a Comment